Product Brand: New Threads
Introduction to Machine Quilting
Friday, 15th December, 2017
10:30 - 16:30Venue: New Threads Quilt Shop
Tuition Cost: £35
Skill Level: 3
Booking Cost: £7 (payable at time of booking, non-refundable)
Please note: In the event of cancellation, your £35 tuition fee is refundable as follows:
- If you cancel up to one month before the class: 100% refund;
- If you cancel up to two weeks before the class: 50% refund;
- If you cancel within two weeks of the class: we regret that no refund will be given.
No. of Places: 6
Quilt tops piling up? Do you love patchwork but perhaps are a little uncertain how to create beautiful quilting designs on your quilts? Come learn how to quilt on a domestic sewing machine. Award winning quilter Meg Leach will take you through the basics of quilting and will also explain all about needles, threads and modern waddings. Bring your own sewing machine to class and Meg will teach you how to quilt.
This is a whole day technique-only class. You will practice quilting on sample 'quilt sandwiches', not a real quilt. You will be learning lots of different stitches on the day.
This is quite an information-packed session. Meg has taught hundreds of people, including complete novices, how to machine quilt for over 20 years now. She has taught this class all over the country and has also written an eight-part series for British Patchwork & Quilting Magazine on how to machine quilt.
This class is for complete beginners. Absolutely no quilting experience is needed to take this class. Please don't worry that you don't know how to machine quilt - that's the whole point of coming to the class! Please book early to avoid disappointment. Although we run several sessions per year for this class, it is usually booked up 2-3 months before the class date.
What to bring to class with you:
- Your sewing machine, foot pedal, power cord, manual
- An extension cord
- A walking foot attachment for your machine
- A free motion quilting foot (sometimes called a darning foot, or embroidery foot)
- A notebook & pen, also a camera or smartphone for taking pictures/videos
- Several 'quilt sandwiches' each a minimum of half metre square (20" square) made with needle-punch wadding sandwiched between two layers of cotton fabric - secure with basting stitches, safety pins or 505 basting adhesive
- An 8" wooden embroidery hoop
- Large extension table for your machine if you have one
- A board large enough to support your sewing machine and its extension table - a chopping board or a piece of plywood should suffice
- Two door wedges
- Needles: Quilting 75, Quilting 90
- Good quality pure cotton thread, medium weight (we suggest a spool of Aurifil 40 weight for use both on top and in the bobbin); any colour will do so long as it contrasts sharply with the colour of your quilt sandwiches so you can see your stitching
- Refreshments: there is a tearoom on site, or you are welcome to bring drinks/lunch with you.
Write an online review and share your thoughts with other shoppers!
Be the first to review this product
Other Customers Bought...
Soft & Elegant Quilt wadding - 90" wide
Elbesee 8 inch (20 cm) Wooden Embroidery Hoop